We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the FHSAA Regional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Florida. We are pleased to provide the casual fan an insider's look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
Team Notes: School (# = # of qualifiers, # = # of District Champs)
Individual Notes: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Arnold (12, 9)
- Bay (3, 0)
- Bozeman (7, 2)
- Marianna (10, 1)
- Mosley (9, 1)
- North Bay Haven (2, 0)
- Rutherford (2, 1)
- South Walton (3, 0)
- Wewahitchka (8, 0)
- Florida High (14, 5)
- Godby (6, 1)
- North Florida Christian (6, 0)
- Rickards (1, 0)
- Suwannee (12, 2)
- Wakulla (12, 6)
- Baker County
- Bishop Snyder
- Fernandina Beach
- West Nassau
- Bishop Kenny (13, 2)
- Bolles (13, 5)
- Bradford (5, 0)
- Duval Charter (0, 0)
- Episcopal (5, 4)
- Florida Deaf & Blind (0, 0)
- Menendez (10, 2)
- Providence (0, 0)
- University Christian (6, 1)
- Wolfson (4, 0)
- Favorite: Clay
- Florida High
- Darkhorse: Bolles
- Summary: Clay and Arnold should battle it out for the top step. District 2 powers Florida High, Wakulla, and Suwannee should be in the mix, but Arnold and Clay appear to have too much firepower. Both Clay and Arnold should be in the hunt at next weekend's 1A State Tournament as well. Watching the battle between the top two teams will be a treat and seeing Florida High, Wakulla, Suwannee, Bolles, Bishop Kenny, and others get into the fray will make this a fun tournament to watch.
- Favorite: Lou Gagliardo (Clay)
- Ethan Pickren (Arnold)
- Brandon Trask (Suwannee) - SQ @ 106
- Jack Delaney (Bishop Kenny) - SQ @ 106
- Gavin Loring (Yulee)
- Best 1st Round Match: Mallari vs. Nguyen
- Darkhorse: Limuel Mallari (Pedro Menendez)
- Finals: Pickren vs. Gagliardo
- Summary: Great weight class. Two "newbies" and two returning state qualifiers. Look for a great match between Gagliardo and Pickren in the finals. Don't be surprised if Trask or Delaney finds a way to upset either of the co-favorites.
- Favorite: Larry Smith (Wakulla) - 6th @ 113
- Chris Merring (Clay) - SQ @ 113
- Daniel Porter (University Christian) - 6th @ 106
- Douglas Hanson (Bozeman)
- Jake Blount (West Nasau) - SQ @ 106
- Best 1st Round Match: Harvey vs. Blount
- Darkhorse: Johnathan Harvey (Wewahitchka)
- Finals: Merring vs. Smith
- Summary: Should be Smith and Merring. Porter should give Smith a match in the bottom semifinal.
- Favorite: William Pickren (Arnold) - 5th @ 120
- Rolin Malik (Wakulla) - SQ @ 120
- Dylan Taylor (Clay)
- Max Metcalf (Florida High) - SQ @ 120
- Dylan Youmans (Yulee) - SQ @ 113
- Reid Hampton (Episcopal)
- Best 1st Round Match: Griffin vs. Santangelo
- Darkhorse: Michael Santangelo (Suwannee) - SQ @ 113
- Finals: Pickren vs. Taylor
- Summary: Bottom side should be very interesting ... watch Taylor vs. Santangelo or Griffin ... the winner could get Metcalf. Pickren and Malik appear to be the best on the top side.
- Favorite: Dale Browning (Clay) - SQ @ 126
- Jaquan English (Raines) - SQ @ 113
- Alex Cao (Arnold) - SQ @ 132
- Bryan Metcalf (Florida High)
- Kyle Black (Bishop Kenny)
- Damien Stayer (Bay)
- Best 1st Round Match: Zimmerman vs. Hunter
- Darkhorse: Jordan Johnson (Baker County)
- Finals: Browning vs. English
- Summary: Browning and Cao are on the top side and it should come down to their semifinal ... English is the only returning state qualifier on the bottom side. He will need to beat Metcalf and either Stayer, Johnson, or Black to advance to the finals.
- Favorite: Richard McClanahan (Arnold) - 1st @ 126
- Max Owen (Wakulla) - SQ @ 132
- Derek Miller (Clay)
- KJ Fagan (Bolles)
- Best 1st Round Match: Borrell vs. Ferry
- Darkhorse: Shane Ferry (Mosley)
- Finals: McClanahan vs. Miller
- Summary: McClanahan is the class of the 132's in Region 1 ... Owen is a returning State Qualifier and will likely meet McClanahan in the top semifinal. The bottom side should be the wild west with Taylor, Tiller, Borrell (his brother was a SQ last year), Ferry, and Fagan battling it out.
- Favorite: Julian Summa (Clay)
- Max Harris (Florida High) - SQ @ 132
- Kenneth Foster (Suwannee) - SQ @ 120
- Gray Creed (Bolles)
- Andrew St Amant (Arnold)
- Best 1st Round Match: Drow vs. Malcolm
- Darkhorse: John Parker (Yulee)
- Finals: Foster vs. Summa
- Summary: Summa and Harris are the two best 138's , but both are on the bottom side ... meaning that should be our semifinal. Who escapes the top side is anyone's guess. St. Amant and Creed are the district champions up top, but Foster is a returning State Qualifier and Parker went 2-2 at last year's region tournament.
- Favorite: Keath Sawdo (Clay) - SQ @ 145 2A
- Connor Cronk (Bolles) - SQ @ 138
- Dylan Tuttle (Arnold)
- Jake Richardson (Florida High)
- Hunter Royce (Wakulla) - SQ @ 138
- Burley Parker (Wewahitchka)
- Best 1st Round Match: Soule vs. Martinez
- Darkhorse: Max Martinez (Marianna)
- Finals: Cronk vs. Sawdo
- Summary: WE could have gone with Tuttle on the top side ... he has had a great season, but he will have to beat Hetler and then probably returning State Qualifier Hunter Royce before getting Cronk. Given the path, Cronk might be the safer bet. Their semifinal will be one to watch. Returning 2A State Qualifier Keath Sawdo of Clay is the man to beat on the bottom side ... keep an eye on Max Martinez (who Sawdo could get in the quarters) ... Martinez went 2-2 last season and is ready to punch his ticket. Don't sleep on Jake Richardson.
- Favorite: Paul Patterson (Arnold) - 3rd @ 138
- Joey Borrell (Suwannee) - SQ @ 145
- Jonathan Samples (Pedro Menendez)
- Connor Green (Clay)
- Michael Surenyan (Bolles) - SQ @ 152
- Andrew Thaxton (Godby) - SQ @ 152
- Best 1st Round Match: Thaxton vs. Pitts
- Darkhorse: Jarred Pitts (Marianna)
- Finals: Patterson vs. Samples
- Summary: Very good weight class that is headlined by returning State Placer Paul Patterson of Arnold. Borrell vs. Surenyan in the 2nd quarterfinal should be a good one to watch ... as will Thaxton or Pitts vs. Samples. The 3rd quarter is fairly open and Clay will need Green to win and advance to help them in the team race.
- Favorite: Cornelius Brown (Godby)
- Max Worthington (Pedro Menendez)
- Jarkeis Bass (Mosley)
- Azim Hameed (Bishop Snyder)
- Best 1st Round Match: Worthington vs. Hostetter
- Darkhorse: Drew Hostetter (Florida High) - SQ @ 152
- Finals: Brown vs. Hameed
- Summary: Strange to see the only returning State Qualifier come in as a #4 from a District ... so that means the Worthington vs. Hostetter match should be one of the best of the 1st round. Both Worthington and Brown (in 2A for Lincoln) had productive 2015 regional tournaments and are ready to punch their tickets in 2016. Keep an eye on Billy Jenkins, Jarkeis Bass, and Azim Hameed on the top side. Don't sleep on CJ Grimes of Bolles as well.
- Favorite: Will Haigler (Florida High) - SQ @ 160
- Chris Surace (Wakulla) - SQ @ 160
- Caleb Steinmetz (Clay)
- Cole Maddox (Marianna)
- Christian Rickey (Episcopal)
- Best 1st Round Match: Andrews vs. Childs
- Darkhorse: Dalton Childs (Mosley)
- Finals: Haigler vs. Surace
- Summary: Haigler beat Surace at last weekend's District Tournament and it is probable the two will meet again this weekend. The bottom quarter of the bracket looks the toughest with Andrews, Childs, and Steinmetz ... can any of the three knock off Haigler in the bottom semifinal?
- Favorite: Brian Girard (Arnold) - SQ @ 170
- Josh Strickland (Wakulla)
- Caleb Calhoun (Bolles)
- Abbott Taylor (Clay)
- RJ Adams (Yulee)
- Best 1st Round Match: Robinson vs. Adams
- Darkhorse: DeJay Robinson (Florida High)
- Finals: Girard vs. Strickland
- Summary: Girard is easily the best of the bracket and should have little trouble claiming the top step. Adams and Robinson will make the 2nd quarterfinal interesting with Calhoun. The bottom side is wide open. Strickland and Taylor are paired with 4 returning Regional Qualifiers ... but none won a match at the 2015 edition of the Region Tournament.
- Favorite: Kaleb Collins (Clay) - 4th @ 195
- Cam Brown (Florida High) - SQ @ 195
- Ryan Kruger (Bozeman)
- Rushton Roberts (Bolles)
- Alex Edwards (Wewahitchka)
- Best 1st Round Match: Holsolmback vs. Annand
- Darkhorse: Nick English (Marianna)
- Finals: Collins vs. Brown
- Summary: Should be Collins vs. Brown with Collins the favorite. Keep an eye on Nick English and Alex Edwards on the bottom side of the bracket.
- Favorite: Scott Dollison (Episcopal) - 3rd @ 220 3A
- Randy Koscak (Arnold) - SQ @ 195
- Jeremy Beleau (Clay)
- Austin Beaulieu (Wakulla)
- Marcus Mapp (Suwannee)
- Best 1st Round Match: Mitchell vs. Wainwright
- Darkhorse: Jonathan Wainwright (North Florida Christian)
- Finals: Dollison vs. Koscak
- Summary: Dollison and Koscak are easily the two best at 220 ... both should contend for a state title in Kissimmee. No one else in the bracket is close. Bealeau is solid and it will be interesting to see him go with Koscak. Dollison should cruise through the bottom side of the bracket.
- Favorite: Roland Samec (Clay) - SQ @ 285
- Conor Chepanik (Episcopal) - SQ @ 220
- Anthony Hudson (Rutherford)
- Jacob Marin (Wakulla)
- Tyriq Hookfin (Westside)
- Best 1st Round Match: Shanks vs. McCallum
- Darkhorse: Josiah McCallum (Bishop Kenny)
- Finals: Hudson vs. Samec
- Summary: Samec and Chepanik are on the same side of the bracket ... so the "finals" should be wrestled Saturday morning rather than Saturday night. The battle on the top side should be interesting. You will not want to lose in the quarters on the top side ... that will mean beating either Samec or Chepanik to qualify for state.