We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the FHSAA Regional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Florida. We are pleased to provide the casual fan an insider's look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
Team Notes: School (# = # of qualifiers, # = # of District Champs)
Individual Notes: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Atlantic Coast (3, 1)
- Buchholz (7, 0)
- First Coast (1, 0)
- Flagler Palm Coast (14, 4)
- Fleming Island (11, 9)
- Fletcher (2, 0)
- Mandarin (3, 0)
- Oakleaf (4, 0)
- Robert E Lee (4, 0)
- Sandalwood (7, 0)
- Apopka (9, 2)
- Dr Phillips (5, 3)
- Edgewater (5, 1)
- Evans (5, 0)
- Ocoee (11, 2)
- Olympia (2, 0)
- Wekiva (3, 0)
- West Orange (9, 1)
- West Port (7, 5)
- Deland (7, 1)
- Hagerty (10, 3)
- Lake Brantley (1, 0)
- Lake Howell (5, 0)
- Lake Mary (9, 2)
- Lyman (6, 2)
- Oviedo (6, 0)
- Seminole (0, 0)
- University (OC) (1, 0)
- Winter Springs (11, 6)
- Boone (10, 2)
- Colonial (1, 0)
- Cypress Creek (7, 1)
- Freedom (14, 9)
- Oak Ridge (7, 0)
- Timber Creek (11, 2)
- University (4, 0)
- Winter Park (2, 0)
Not sure we can do a better job than Brant Parsons at the Orlando Sentinel, but we will give it a try. You can check out his prediction for 3A Region 1 at the Orlando Sentinel. The Orlando Sentinel is one of the largest newspapers in Florida and to see that type of coverage of an upcoming Region Tournament is fantastic.
- Favorite: Fleming Island
- Flagler Palm Coast
- Winter Springs
- Timber Creek
- Darkhorse: West Port
- Summary: Why yes we have the usual suspects gunning for the 2016 Region 1 Team Title this weekend in Central Florida. Fleming Island beat Flagler Palm Coast by the narrowest margin for the District 1 title and enters as the team to beat. FPC, Winter Springs, and Freedom all have the horses to knock off Fleming Island and take the title. FPC has the fewest District Champions (of the contenders), but they bring all 14 to the region and have 14 that could punch their ticket to Kissimmee. Winter Springs counters with 6 champions and 11 wrestlers and Freedom has all 14 with 9 champions. Will this be the year that Freedom is able to jump the top 3 and take the title? Keep an eye on Timber Creek, West Port, and Hagerty.
- Favorite: Albie Snedaker (Fleming Island)
- Marcus Jean Baptise (Freedom)
- Aaron Kreiser (West Port)
- Tyler McVay (Hagerty)
- Alex Barie (Sandalwood) - SQ @ 106
- Best 1st Round Match: Augustave vs. Rosano
- Darkhorse: Ryan Rosano (Oakleaf)
- Finals: Snedaker vs. Barie
- Summary: The two best 106's are on the same side of the bracket in Snedaker and Jean Baptiste. That semifinal should be fun to watch. The bottom side is more wide open and should feature Kreiser, Rosano, Barie and McVay. Barie finished 2nd in the 2015 Region 1 Tournament and will look to overcome that hurdle this season.
- Favorite: DeAndre Demus (Fleming Island)
- Avery Holder (Flagler Palm Coast) - SQ @ 113
- Jeremiah Costen (Lake Mary) - 6th @ 113
- Jayden Crum (West Port)
- Corban Arana (Timber Creek)
- Best 1st Round Match: Hale vs. Showers
- Darkhorse: Jacques Hale (Sandalwood)
- Finals: Demus vs. Holder
- Summary: Demus, Holder, and Costen are the 3 best in the weight class. Demus has been fantastic all season and is our favorite to take the top step. Costen is a returning State Placer and Avery Holder is a returning State Qualifier - both are more than capable of winning it all this weekend. All 3 should punch their ticket to Kissimmee. Keep an eye on Michael Ortega of Cypress Creek ... a match between him, Catanese, Crum or Hale could be the difference between a trip to the state tournament and staying home. One of those four are likely to take the final spot on the podium.
- Favorite: Michael DeAugustino (Flagler Palm Coast) - 4th @ 126
- Jake Semrad (Lyman) - 4th @ 113
- Jamel Clue (Dr Phillips)
- Earl Johnson (Freedom)
- Brian Rosa (Apopka)
- Best 1st Round Match: Rosa vs. Boughton
- Darkhorse: Andrique Boughton (Buchholz)
- Finals: DeAugustino vs. Semrad
- Summary: The two state placers, DeAugustino and Semrad, are the co-favorites and lucky for everyone they are on opposite sides of the bracket. That means 120 should be one of the best finals in the tournament. The fight for the final two spots should be exciting. Clue needs to advance to the top semifinal and wait on Jacob Sandoval of Fleming Island (assuming Sandoval wins in the 1st round over Montes and loses to Semrad in the quarters) in bout 341. The bottom quarter is the most interesting ... either Rosa, Boughton, or Johnson should be waiting on the losers of the top quarters for a spot in Kissimmee. The backside of the bracket should be awesome to watch.
- Favorite: Tracy Davis (Fleming Island) - SQ @ 126
- Gavin Smith (Lake Mary)
- Gant Moore (Buchholz)
- Greg Zehnder (West Port)
- Brenden Maharaj (Freedom)
- Best 1st Round Match: Brown vs. Brugal
- Darkhorse: Tanner Brown (Mandarin)
- Finals: Davis vs. Moore
- Summary: Tracy Davis is easily the best at 126 ... who gets the final 3 spots is anyone's guess. The bottom side might belong to District 1 Runner-up Gant Moore of Buchholz. Moore was one match from qualifying in 2015 and neither Zehnder or Maharaj have been to the state tournament before. Keep an eye on Will Mitchell of Edgewater (2-2 a year ago at this tournament) and freshman Trace Insalaco in the 2nd quarter of the bracket.
- Favorite: Xavier Sampsel (Fleming Island) - 6th @ 120
- Cole Mitchell (Winter Springs) - SQ @ 132
- Stephon Halliburton (Freedom)
- Parker Nasman (West Port)
- Nathan St Pierre (Flagler Palm Coast)
- Best 1st Round Match: Palmer vs. Wooten
- Darkhorse: Colton Palmer (Lyman)
- Finals: Sampsel vs. Mitchell
- Summary: Sampsel and Mitchell should take care of their sides of the bracket and advance to the finals. The 2nd and 4th quarters are interesting and could go to any number of wrestlers. Whoever loses the semifinals better watch for some good wrestlers coming back through and looking to punch their tickets to Kissimmee.
- Favorite: Dimitri Alicea (Winter Springs)
- Christian Rivera (Freedom)
- Paul Detwiler (Fleming Island)
- Kade Randall (West Orange)
- Cameron Bell (Sandalwood)
- Best 1st Round Match: Rivera vs. Johnson
- Darkhorse: Tariq Johnson (Flagler Palm Coast)
- Finals: Christian Rivera vs. Alicea
- Summary: Alicea is the favorite, but with no returning qualifiers this weight class is fairly wide open. Alicea has a fairly tough road to the final ... getting the winner of Rivera and Johnson in the quarters and then Randall, Lee or Bell in the semi's. The top side should come down to Detwiler and Christian Rivera ... not sure who wins that match. Should be very close. Rivera can't look past Bassett of Deland.
- Favorite: Evyn Insalaco (Flagler Palm Coast) - 6th @ 132
- Kurtis Aimable (Freedom) - SQ @ 138
- Xavier Maxwell (Winter Springs)
- Josh Paredes (West Port)
- McKlaine Johnson (Lake Mary)
- Best 1st Round Match: Smith vs. Delapaz
- Darkhorse: Reggie Smith (Cypress Creek)
- Finals: Insalaco vs. Maxwell
- Summary: The two best 145's are on the same side in Insalaco and Aimable. Assuming they both make it that far ... the semifinal between Insalaco and Aimable will be a good one to watch. All four wrestlers in bouts 50 and 51 are tough and should give both Insalaco and Aimable a tough Friday night quarterfinal match. Paredes and Maxwell should battle it out on the bottom side of the bracket. Again all four wrestlers in bouts 54 and 55 could play the spoiler and knock off on the of the district champions.
- Favorite: Anthony Maia (Flagler Palm Coast) - 2nd @ 145
- James Nereim (Winter Springs) - 1st @ 145
- Briso Aimable (Freedom)
- Andre Hendricks (Edgewater)
- Luke Karl (Oakleaf)
- Best 1st Round Match: Sala vs. Mendoza
- Darkhorse: Nick Sala (Oviedo)
- Finals: Maia vs. Nereim
- Summary: It should be Maia vs. Nereim once again ... they have met earlier this season and in last year's state finals and the should battle again in the final on Saturday evening. Briso Aimable and Andre Hendricks should challenge in the semi's, but it doesn't seem likely that either will beat Maia or Nereim. Keep an eye on Oakleaf's Luke Karl and Oviedo's Nick Sala ... both went 2-2 at last year's region tournament and each is ready to punch his ticket to Kissimmee.
- Favorite: Max Wohlabaugh (Winter Springs) - 3rd @ 152
- Jonathan Gomez (Boone) - SQ @ 160
- Eric Vigo (Flagler Palm Coast)
- Kendrick Koller (Apopka)
- Erik Kverneland (Buchholz)
- Best 1st Round Match: Kverneland vs. Busek
- Darkhorse: Michael Busek (Oviedo)
- Finals: Wohlabaugh vs. Gomez
- Summary: Returning State Placer Max Wohlabaugh is the favorite and should handle the top side of the bracket with relative ease. District 1 Champion Eric Vigo has had a very good senior campaign and should give Wohlabaugh a match in the top semi. Gomez of Boone is the favorite on the bottom side ... he enters with a 25-1 record and is a returning 2015 state qualifier. His quarterfinal bout with either Busek or Kverneland should be a good one to watch. Don't sleep on sophomore Kendrick Koller of Apopka in the 3rd quarter of the bracket.
- Favorite: Kahtrell Treadwell (Lyman) - 4th @ 160
- John Martorano (Fleming Island) - 6th @ 160
- Jude Moore (Boone)
- Quentin Wilson (Apopka)
- Nathan Ferkovich (Lake Brantley)
- Eddie Bryant (Flagler Palm Coast)
- Best 1st Round Match: Beavor vs. Monarch
- Darkhorse: Max Beavor (Mandarin)
- Finals: Treadwell vs. Martorano
- Summary: Returning State Placers Martorano and Treadwell should each handle their sides of the bracket and meet in the finals Saturday evening. Ferkovich vs. Moore and Bryant vs. Wilson should be the best quarterfinal bouts.
- Favorite: Darrell Wallace (Freedom) - 5th @ 182
- Ryan Smenda (Fleming Island)
- George Schanck (Ocoee) - SQ @ 170
- Curtis Duren (Hagerty)
- Steve Canidate (Flagler Palm Coast)
- Logan Celella (Apopka)
- Best 1st Round Match: Celella vs. Macklin
- Darkhorse: James Macklin (Winter Springs)
- Finals: Wallace vs. Schanck
- Summary: Wallace is the best of the bracket, but Smenda and Schanck are close behind. Both should get a chance to knock off the returning state placer ... Smenda in the semi's and then Schanck (if Wallace doesn't fall to Smenda) in the finals. The big question is who gets the 4th spot. You probably don't want to lose in the bottom quarters ... that would mean beating Smenda or Wallace to qualify.
- Favorite: Jason Davis (Fleming Island) - 3rd @ 182 2A
- Jules Joseph (Ocoee) - SQ @ 195
- Jackson Saffold (Timber Creek)
- Ethan Kaufmann (Hagerty)
- Narek Stepanyan (Atlantic Coast)
- Best 1st Round Match: Bass vs. Gallon
- Darkhorse: Daniel Bass (Boone)
- Finals: Davis vs. Joseph
- Summary: It looks as if the four district champs should proceed through the bracket with little problem. Davis is a returning State Placer, Joseph was 2 matches from placing at the 2015 state tournament, and both Saffold and Kaufmann recorded wins at last year's regional tournament.
- Favorite: Dylan Meeks (Dr Phillips) - 1st @ 220
- Jose Concepcion (Fleming Island)
- Romel Stimphil (Freedom)
- Raymond Hauerty (Deland)
- Raimello Jackson (Wekiva) - SQ @ 220
- Best 1st Round Match: Knight vs. Jackson
- Darkhorse: Maliek Jackson (Evans)
- Finals: Meeks vs. Raimello Jackson
- Summary: Meeks is the largest favorite heading into the Region 1 Tournament. The 2x State Champion has been unbeatable and is simply outstanding on the mat. The bottom side of the bracket should be looking to fight their way back for 3rd. The top side is wide open and could feature Concepcion, Knight, Maliek Jackson, or Hauerty in the finals ... we will take Raimello Jackson who is a returning state qualifier and finished 1-2 at the 2015 state tournament. The only reason he is a #2 in a district is because of Meeks ... but the top side should be fun to watch.
- Favorite: Deangles Harris (Atlantic Coast) - 4th @ 285 1A
- Tahj Glemaud (Dr Phillips) - SQ @ 285
- TJ Boyd (Winter Springs)
- Uzochi Oparaji (Cypress Creek)
- Brandyne Mackey (Fleming Island)
- Best 1st Round Match: Swetnam vs. Williamson
- Darkhorse: Vincent Ebanks (Flagler Palm Coast)
- Finals: Harris vs. Boyd
- Summary: The two best 285s, Harris and Glemaud, are on the same side of the bracket so the top semifinal should be a fun one to watch. Boyd, Oparaji, Mackey, McNeilly, and Ebanks should battle it out on the bottom side.