We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the FHSAA Regional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Florida. We are pleased to provide the casual fan an insider's look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
Team Notes: School (# = # of qualifiers, # = # of District Champs)
Individual Notes: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Centennial (2, 0)
- Ft Pierce Central (12, 1)
- Jupiter (7, 1)
- Martin County (9, 3)
- Palm Beach Gardens (8, 4)
- Treasure Coast (12, 3)
- Vero Beach (6, 2)
- Forest Hill (7, 3)
- John I Leonard (6, 0)
- Palm Beach Central (8, 1)
- Royal Palm Beach (7, 1)
- Seminole Ridge (12, 3)
- Wellington (13, 6)
- Atlantic (9, 2)
- Boca Raton (11, 1)
- Lake Worth (3, 2)
- Park Vista (14, 3)
- Santaluces (13, 6)
- Spanish River (4, 0)
- Coral Gables (2, 0)
- Coral Springs (9, 1)
- Deerfield Beach (3, 0)
- Douglas (5, 0)
- Ft Lauderdale (5, 2)
- Monarch (4, 0)
- Piper (3, 0)
- Plantation (7, 2)
- St Thomas Aquinas (13, 9)
- Taravella (5, 0)
- Favorite: St Thomas Aquinas
- Park Vista
- Treasure Coast
- Darkhorse: Seminole Ridge
- Summary: 2016 should feature a very good team race between STA, Wellington, Santalcues, Park Vista and Treasure Coast. Seminole Ridge, Martin County and Boca Raton could make things interesting. STA is the top team and everyone is chasing them. Wellington is #2 and just a step behind. Santaluces, Park Vista, and Treasure Coast qualified most of their team (in Park Vista's case all of their team) and have several District Champions (in Santaluces' case they have 6) ... so those 3 teams will be knocking on the door. Seminole Ridge has 3 studs and 9 others that can contribute. How well those 9 fair will determine how high Seminole Ridge climbs. If you are in attendance be sure to watch Grant Aronoff of St Thomas Aquinas ... he might be the best wrestler in the state.
- Favorite: Raiden Johnson (Coral Springs) - SQ @ 106 1A
- Dennis McNeal (Treasure Coast)
- Christian Arechabaleta (STA)
- Donovan Ortiz (Wellington)
- Mark Louidor (Lake Wales)
- Best 1st Round Match: Bates vs. Donath
- Darkhorse: Jackson Bates (Douglas)
- Finals: Johnson vs. Archebaleta
- Summary: Johnson enters as the favorite after beating Archebaleta last week in the District 12 finals. We expect the two to meet again in the finals this week ... but the path will be might be more difficult for Archebaleta. Johnson must content with the winner of Luciano and Goldstein in the quarters and McNeal (likely) in the semi's. Archebaleta should handle the bottom quarter, but his semi against Ortiz, Bates or Donrath will be interesting. The big question is ... who will grab the #3 and #4 spots?
- Favorite: Jared Abramson (Wellington) - SQ @ 106
- Edward Barrett (Atlantic) - SQ @ 106
- Gianni Gurriero (STA)
- Daniel Rojas (Vero Beach)
- Sean Campbell (Park Vista)
- Best 1st Round Match: Mills vs. DiZenzo
- Darkhorse: Chris DiZenzo (Boca Raton)
- Finals: Barrett vs. Abramson
- Summary: It would be surprising to see anyone but Barrett and Abramson in the finals. Both qualified for the state tournament a season ago and both enjoyed some success ... at the moment they appear to be ahead of the rest of the field. Keep an eye on Gurriero, Rojas, and Campbell. They, along with DiZenzo and Mills, should battle it out for the final two spots.
- Favorite: Stephen Moreno (STA) - 4th @ 113 1A
- Francisco Farr (Seminole Ridge) - SQ @ 120
- Joey Staats (Martin County) - SQ @ 113
- Michael Medio (Santaluces)
- Jermain Davis (Ft Pierce Central)
- Best 1st Round Match: Swint vs. Chitty
- Darkhorse: Damian Swint (Atlantic)
- Finals: Farr vs. Moreno
- Summary: Moreno gets the nod as the favorite, but only because Farr and Staats will likely meet in the top semi. Moreno, on the other hand, should take care of the bottom side with relative ease. The big question in this bracket is who will grab the #4 spot. It could be Chitty, Medio, Townsend ... it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
- Favorite: Pablo Asenjo (Forest Hill) - 4th @ 113 2A
- Vinny Sessa (STA)
- Colton Macfarlane (Wellington) - SQ @ 120
- Anthony Powell (Palm Beach Gardens)
- Joel Govia (Santaluces)
- Best 1st Round Match: Font vs. Arnold
- Darkhorse: John Arnold (Seminole Ridge)
- Finals: Asenjo vs. Macfarlane
- Summary: Really good weight class with Asenjo, Macfarlane, and Sessa. Govia draws the short straw ... getting Macfarlane in the quarters. Expect a great semi between Asenjo and Sessa. Who will emerge from the top quarter to take on Macfarlane (or Govia)?
- Favorite: Max Wigatow (STA) - SQ @ 120
- Tyler Difiore (Wellington)
- Bryce Greene (Boca Raton)
- Emmanuel Depaz (Vero Beach)
- Zain Cruz (Monarch)
- Best 1st Round Match: Mohl vs. Volcy
- Darkhorse: David Volcy (Piper)
- Finals: Difiore vs. Wigatow
- Summary: Difiore just missed out on a trip to Kissimmee last year in 1A ... expect that to change in 2016. It would be a surprise if Difiore and Wigatow don't meet in the finals. They appear to be a step ahead of everyone else in the field. Keep an eye on Depaz, Cruz, Mohl, and Greene. At least two of those names should meet in the consolation semifinals with a trip to Kissimmee on the line.
- Favorite: Grant Aronoff (STA) - 2nd @ 138
- Ivan Pena (Palm Beach Central) - SQ @ 126
- Noah Maher (Park Vista)
- Ty Warner (Martin County)
- Kiesean Stephens (Coral Springs) - SQ @ 132
- Best 1st Round Match: Komatz vs. Thelusme
- Darkhorse: Michael Komatz (Douglas)
- Finals: Aronoff vs. Pena
- Summary: Aronoff might be the best wrestler in Florida ... regardless of weight class or classification. That isn't a slight on Norstrem, Silva, Jiovenetta, or others ... it is simply a statement that could be argued. Aronoff finished 2nd a season ago to Connor Prince of Palm Harbor at 138 and had been fantastic over the last year. No one in the weight class should challenge him. Pena is the likely choice to be in the finals opposite Aronoff, but he will likely need to get through Kiesean Stephens in the bottom semifinal (assuming they both advance to that point). Will Komatz, Maher or Warner claim the final spot on the podium?
- Favorite: Bryce Marcus (STA) - 5th @ 126 1A
- Luke Pidgeon (Palm Beach Gardens)
- Kareem Thomas (Santaluces)
- Jacob Treanor (Wellington)
- Jason Berry (Coral Springs)
- Best 1st Round Match: Henry vs. Spera
- Darkhorse: Carlos Henry (Ft Lauderdale)
- Finals: Marcus vs. Thomas
- Summary: Marcus has moved over from 1A and hasn't missed a beat (I guess being in the same room as Aronoff can yield some nice dividends ... not to say Bryce wouldn't have been successful anyway - but having a solid workout partner is always a gift). Marcus is easily the favorite at 145 and it isn't expected that anyone in the bracket this weekend will be close. The big question is ... who will emerge from the bottom side to face him and who will grab the 3rd and 4th spot on the train to Kissimmee? The bottom side could go to Spera, Berry, Wallace, Treanor, or Thomas. Expect 1 of those names to be in the finals and another to be wrestling Pidgeon in the consolation semifinals.
- Favorite: Jarrod Smiley (Seminole Ridge) - SQ @ 138
- Augustine Smith (STA)
- Alex Trias (Wellington)
- Anthony Gil (Palm Beach Gardens)
- Asteler St Juste (Lake Worth)
- Best 1st Round Match: Abbott vs. Blitzer
- Darkhorse: Daquan Abbott (Treasure Coast)
- Finals: Smiley vs. Smith
- Summary: Smiley is certainly the favorite ... not sure who gets out of the bottom side. It should be Smith vs. Trias in the quarters. Keep an eye on the top 2 quarters ... Gil vs. Blitzer or Abbott and Pikuza or Rodriguez vs. Smiley. The loser of one of those quarters could be the #3 or #4 and have a ticket to Kissimmee.
- Favorite: Liam Lapeter (Seminole Ridge) - SQ @ 160
- Nick Sorace (Martin County)
- Gabriel Burzycki (Santaluces)
- Kassio Colaco (Ft Lauderdale)
- Jorge Loy (Forest Hill) - SQ @ 152 2A
- Best 1st Round Match: Woessner vs. Salvatore
- Darkhorse: Chase Salvatore (Park Vista)
- Finals: Loy vs. Lapeter
- Summary: Both returning state qualifiers in the bracket come from District 10 (Lapeter and Loy). each could take care of his side of the bracket and meet once again the finals ... Loy will need to take care of Webster and Burzycki before getting Bonhomme or Sorace in the semi's ... that isn't an easy path. Lapeter should handle the bottom side, but will probably need to beat District 12 Champion Kassio Colaco to get to the finals.
- Favorite: Jordan Johnson (Plantation)
- Eric Saber (Wellington)
- Nicholas Whittington (Santaluces)
- Manny Paules (Boca Raton)
- Julio Mirambaux (Forest Hill) - SQ @ 170 2A
- Best 1st Round Match: Mirambaux vs. Spero
- Darkhorse: Matt Spero (Park Vista)
- Finals: Johnson vs. Saber
- Summary: Wide open weight class where the only returning state qualifier finished 2nd in District 10. The top half of the bracket could come down to Mirambaux vs. Johnson, but don't sleep on Spero or Paules either. Could District 9 Champ Chase Olsen surprise? The bottom side of the bracket will likely come down to Saber vs. Whittington.
- Favorite: Josiah Gittman (STA) - SQ @ 170
- Johnny Raich (Palm Beach Gardens) - SQ @ 170
- Eric Jones (Forest Hill)
- Carmine Santosus (Santaluces)
- Nilson Bretas (Coral Springs) - SQ @ 182
- Best 1st Round Match: Edwards vs. Negron
- Darkhorse: Jesus Negron (Park Vista)
- Finals: Gittman vs. Bretas
- Summary: The two best in the weight, Gittman and Raich, are on the same side of the bracket ... so be sure to catch the top semi. Returning State Qualifier Bretas should give Santosus and Jones a tough time on the bottom side.
- Favorite: Kenny Deangeles (Park Vista)
- Isaac Adonis (Wellington)
- Jordi Perez (Jupiter)
- Ryan Mane (STA)
- Edward Dejesus (Forest Hill)
- Best 1st Round Match: Campbell vs. Dejesus
- Darkhorse: DeAnju Campbell (Coral Springs)
- Finals: Deangeles vs. Adonis
- Summary: Wide open weight class that could go to as many as six different wrestlers. Deangeles was one match fro ma trip a year ago and enters as our favorite. Perez, Adonis, Mane, Dejesus and others will make this a very competitive weight class. Don't sleep on a #2 or #3 in the finals.
- Favorite: Joseph Bolton Henry (Plantation) - SQ @ 220
- Theo Gerve (Treasure Coast)
- Drew Matias (Royal Palm Beach)
- Luckaad Dorsainvil (Atlantic)
- Terrill Taylor (Palm Beach Gardens)
- Jakob Scott (Coral Springs)
- Best 1st Round Match: Torres vs. Posada
- Darkhorse: Andrew Torres (Deerfield Beach)
- Finals: Bolton Henry vs. Gerve
- Summary: Returning State Qualifier Joseph Bolton Henry should control the bracket and it would be a surprise if he weren't in the finals. Gerve was one match from qualifying a season ago and looks to be the man to beat on the top side. As many as 5 others could take the final two spots ... don't be surprised if it goes to a #2 or #3 - maybe a #4 sneaks in there as well.
- Favorite: Will Davis (Ft Pierce Central) - SQ @ 285
- Jordan Earle (Forest Hill)
- Jeffery Brown (Park Vista)
- Lucas Moreira (Ft Lauderdale)
- Geoffrey Cosgrave (Vero Beach)
- Best 1st Round Match: Paul vs. Wilbermane
- Darkhorse: Jaret Harvey (Martin County)
- Finals: Davis vs. Moreira
- Summary: Davis took 2nd here a season ago and looks to take the top step in 2016. It would be a surprise if he weren't the representative from the top side of the bracket. The bottom side is completely wide open and could go to Brown, Cosgrave, Albuquerque, Harvey, or Moreira. Looking for some close matches ... keep an eye on the bottom side of the bracket.