We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the FHSAA Regional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Florida. We are pleased to provide the casual fan an insider's look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
Team Notes: School (# = # of qualifiers, # = # of District Champs)
Individual Notes: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Cooper City (10, 2)
- Cypress Bay (12, 5)
- Everglades (6, 2)
- Flanagan (3, 1)
- Hollywood Hills (7, 2)
- McArthur (3, 0)
- Miramar (2, 0)
- Nova (4, 1)
- South Plantation (3, 0)
- West Broward (2, 0)
- Western (3, 1)
- American (4, 2)
- Dr Krop (5, 0)
- Hialeah Gardens (6, 1)
- Mater Academy (11, 2)
- Miami Beach (11, 4)
- North Miami (11, 4)
- Reagan (4, 1)
- Braddock (9, 2)
- Columbus (11, 4)
- Coral Gables (9, 1)
- Coral Park (5, 2)
- Ferguson (2, 1)
- Miami Senior (7, 0)
- Southwest Miami (12, 4)
- South Miami (1, 0)
- Coral Reef (9, 1)
- Homestead (2, 0)
- Killian (8, 0)
- Palmetto (9, 0)
- Southridge (12, 5)
- South Dade (14, 8)
- Favorite: South Dade
- Southwest Miami
- Cypress Bay
- Darkhorse: North Miami
- Summary: Remember the whispers from last year? "Look at everyone South Dade is graduating ... Lugo, Crosby, Delisca ... they are going to be down in 2015-2016". Well that didn't up very accurate, did it? The Bucs crowned 8 District Champions and have positioned themselves to be the favorites again 2016. Southwest had 4 champs and Southridge had 5 and they should both give South Dade a challenge. Cypress Bay has 5 as well and could be knocking on the door of a top 3 finish. Don't sleep in Columbus, North Miami, and Miami Beach ... they will challenge as well.
- Favorite: Elijah Varona (South Dade) - 6th @ 106
- Sebastian Calmet (Coral Park)
- Charles Pierre Nadhelo (Everglades)
- Ryan Boncamper (Killian)
- Jonathan Ley (Mater Academy)
- Best 1st Round Match: Herrera vs. Dematas
- Darkhorse: Carlos Flores (Palmetto)
- Finals: Varona vs. Boncamper
- Summary: Varona is not only the best of the bracket, but also one of the best 106's in both 3A and the state. He should handle the top half of the bracket with relative ease. The bottom half is much more wide open and could go to any number of wrestlers. Boncamper, Silvestre, Portilla, and Calmet all have region experience. Add in 6th grader Jonathan Ley and you have some interesting match-ups. One of the names mentioned above may have to beat Nadhelo to punch their ticket to the state tournament.
- Favorite: Alex Victor (Braddock) - 1st @ 106
- Anthony Silvestre (Hollywood Hills) - SQ @ 113
- Arie Reyes (South Dade)
- Daishun Felton (Miami Beach)
- Alex Mason (Cypress Bay)
- Best 1st Round Match: Adel vs. Sanchez
- Darkhorse: Sebastian Sanchez (Southridge)
- Finals: Victor vs. Reyes
- Summary: Silvestre gets the tough draw with Victor on the same side of the bracket. Reyes is the best on the bottom side, but Mason, Luna, Felton, Lopez and Perez are tough ... whoever loses in the quarters will likely need to beat Silvestre to qualify (assuming he loses to Victor in the semi's).
- Favorite: Randy McCray (Southridge) - 2nd @ 106
- Edgar Martinez (Columbus) - SQ @ 106
- Alean Gonzalez (Southwest Miami)
- David Mompoint (North Miami) - SQ @ 113
- Zakaryah Chanlatte (Flanagan)
- Best 1st Round Match: Hernandez vs. Webb
- Darkhorse: Luis Hernandez (Braddock)
- Finals: Mompoint vs. McCray
- Summary: McCray and Martinez end up on the same side of the bracket ... meaning the bottom half will be a tough haul for anyone else. Mompoint is also a returning qualifier and should take care of the top side ... but it will be difficult. The winner of Hernandez vs. Webb will give him a tough quarterfinal match and then he could get Barrows, Gonzalez, or Chanlatte in the semifinals.
- Favorite: Franco Valdes (Southwest Miami) - 2nd @ 126
- Jordan Marshall (Southridge) - 1st @ 120
- Ignascio Fuertes (Cypress Bay)
- Anthony Vizcaino (Coral Gables) - SQ @ 120
- Hartley Mesadieu (Braddock)
- Best 1st Round Match: Fuertes vs. Codinach
- Darkhorse: Mikael Codinach (Columbus)
- Finals: Valdes vs. Marshall
- Summary: Valdes vs. Marshall might be a preview of the state finals a week later. It doesn't matter who is listed as the favorite ... either can win it all this week (or next). Vizcaino fell to Valdes in last week's District 15 final, but he has to be considered the 3rd best in the weight class and should get Marshall in the semi's. Can Fuertes handle a very tough Mikael Codinach (a state qualifier at 113 in 2015) in the 1st round and take care of the top quarter?
- Favorite: Brevin Balmaceda (South Dade) - 1st @ 120 1A
- Alex Urquiza (Southwest Miami) - SQ @ 132
- Justin Cohen (Cypress Bay)
- Marcus Abreu (Coral Park)
- Martin Castillo (Miami Beach)
- Best 1st Round Match: Abreu vs. Mendoza
- Darkhorse: Alberto Mendoza (Southridge)
- Finals: Cohen vs. Balmaceda
- Summary: Many wondered how Balmaceda would handle the step up to 3A after winning 120 in 1A as an 8th grader ... well winning a District 16 title tells you that he is on his way and should be considered one of the favorites heading into next weekend. Urquiza gets him on the bottom side of the bracket so that should be a great semi. The top quarter of the bracket might include the 3 of the 4 next best wrestlers in the weight class in Cohen, Abreu and Mendoza. Castillo and Brown or Wilson should battle it out in the 2nd quarter. Overall a very good weight class.
- Favorite: Anthony Kinsey (Southridge) - 3rd @ 132
- Chris Bentley (Columbus)
- Joel Ramirez (South Dade)
- Emmanuel Nordelo (South Miami) - SQ @ 132
- Vincent Garcia (Western)
- Sean Singh (American)
- Best 1st Round Match:
- Darkhorse: Jesse Acedo (Southwest Miami)
- Summary: Kinsey is the headliner here. He should get a very good quarterfinal match from fellow returning qualifier Nordelo. The winner could get Garcia or Acedo. Bentley should take the bottom side of the bracket, but his quarterfinal vs. Ramirez will also be one to watch. Keep an eye on Alejandro Hueck in the 3rd quarter of the bracket.
- Favorite: Ozzy Lugo (South Dade) - 1st @ 126
- Angel Del Cueto (Southwest Miami) - 6th @ 138
- Yisrael Londono (Miami Beach) - SQ @ 138
- Liam Jones (Cooper City)
- Anthony Codinach (Columbus) - SQ @ 126
- Best 1st Round Match: Lovett vs. Gamboa
- Darkhorse: Bryce Gamboa (Hollywood Hills)
- Finals: Lugo vs. Del Cueto
- Summary: 2X State Champion Ozzy Lugo is easily the favorite at 145. Lugo, like his brother before him, is one of the best in Florida regardless of weight or classification. Codinach will need to work through the backside if he is going to qualify. Who emerges out of the top quarter is anyone's guess ... probably Jones, but don't sleep on Rodriguez or Marrero. Del Cueto and Londono shou;d battle it out on the bottom side.
- Favorite: Salvador Lopez (Braddock) - SQ @ 152
- Amadeus Concepcion (Cypress Bay)
- Todd Perry (South Dade) - SQ @ 138 1A
- Romoan Chester (Miami Palmetto) - SQ @ 145
- Zachary Rendueles (Hialeah Gardens)
- Best 1st Round Match: Gonzalez vs. Perez
- Darkhorse: Marcos Perez (Southridge)
- Finals: Chester vs. Lopez
- Summary: Good weight class with not much separation. Perry beat Chester last week and could be the man to beat on the bottom side ... his match with Lopez in the semi's might feature the two best in the weight. Chester will likely get Rendueles in the quarters and either Concepcion, Gonzalez, or Perez in the semi's. The top quarter should be a battle. Don't sleep in Jonas Cherenfant in the bottom quarter.
- Favorite: Luis Rios (Southridge)
- Nicholas Nogradi (Everglades)
- Cristhian Cruz (Miami Beach)
- Daniel Martinez (Coral Park)
- Malik Bell (Palmetto)
- Best 1st Round Match: Flores vs. Mayol
- Darkhorse: Aaron Flores (South Dade)
- Finals: Rios vs. Nogradi
- Summary: Wide open weight class. Rios looks like the favorite, but as many as 6 could be on the top step on Saturday evening.
- Favorite: Deandre Chery (North Miami) - SQ @ 160
- Jeison Perez (Nova)
- Jason Kaercher (Coral Reef)
- Mikaell Fundora (Ferguson)
- Corey Welcher (Southridge)
- Best 1st Round Match: Perez vs. Periera
- Darkhorse: Carlos Periera (Southwest Miami)
- Finals: Chery vs. Kaercher
- Summary: Chery is the favorite, but should be pushed by either Lacayo or Perkins in the quarters. The bottom quarter is wide open and it will be interesting to see who emerges from that quarter to challenge Chery. Don't be surprised if someone that loses in the top quarters is in Kissimmee next weekend.
- Favorite: Corey Harvey (South Dade)
- Glen Eisman (Cypress Bay)
- Gabriel Garcia (Coral Gables)
- Nicholas Gonzalez (Cooper City)
- Jonathan Laurent (North Miami)
- Best 1st Round Match: Gonzalez vs. Sweet
- Darkhorse: Marshal Sweet (Killian)
- Finals: Harvey vs. Garcia
- Summary: Another wide open weight class ... no returning State Qualifiers and as many as 5 who have a real shot at the top step. Harvey and Eisman are the co-favorites, but could face one another in the top semifinal. The bottom side is wide open ... don't be surprised to see a #2 or #3 in the finals.
- Favorite: Chei Hill (South Dade) - 2nd @ 195
- Adolfo Sotolongo (Southwest Miami) - 4th @ 182
- Jozef Macugoski (Cooper City)
- Gabriel Barrocas (Reagan)
- Carlos Osterling (Cypress Bay)
- Best 1st Round Match: Osterling vs. Izzaguirre
- Darkhorse: Alexis Izzaguirre (Coral Gables)
- Finals: Sotolongo vs. Hill
- Summary: Great weight class that could have a few very good wrestlers staying home the last weekend of the season. Hill, a State Runner-up in 2015, and Sotolongo, a State Runner-up in 2014 and 4th in 2015, headline the weight class. That should be an excellent final ... and could be the final again next weekend. Macugoski, Barrocas, Osterling, and others should fight for the final two spots.
- Favorite: Darius Hamilton (Southridge) - 2nd @ 220
- Matthew Toribio (Cypress Bay)
- Miguel Capote (Mater Academy)
- Giovanny Mentor (Killian)
- Dylan Perez (Columbus)
- Best 1st Round Match: Guzman vs. Martinez
- Darkhorse: Jason Geffrard (South Dade)
- Finals: Mentor vs. Hamilton
- Summary: Returning State Runner-up Hamilton is the man to beat in the bracket ... no one else is close and Hamilton should cruise to the top step this weekend. His closest match might come from fellow District 16 wrestler Giovanny Mentor in the finals ... assuming Mentor can get there. Mentor will need to beat Toribio and either Geffrard or Perez.
- Favorite: Kyron Taylor (South Dade) - 2nd @ 285
- Kyle Mann (Columbus)
- Melchisedek Juedy (Southridge)
- Eric Nazaire (North Miami)
- Marko Reed (Hollywood Hills)
- Jaafari Stephens (Coral Gables)
- Best 1st Round Match: Stephens vs. Jackson
- Darkhorse: Trayvone Jackson (Killian)
- Finals: Taylor vs. Juedy
- Summary: Returning State Runner-up Taylor is the man to beat, but he should get a good match from Mann in the semi's. Those are the two best in the bracket and that means that the top side is wide open. Juedy, who just missed on a trip to the 2015 state tournament, finished 2nd to Taylor in District 16 and might be the man to beat on the top side. The top quarter with Reed, Stephens, and Jackson will be a grind.