A Fan's Guide to Georgia 3A-A Sectional Tournament at Morgan County High School
We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the GHSA Sectional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Georgia. We are disappointed that the GHSA did not allow southeastwrestling.com to cover any of the events. As a result, we are unable to provide any pics or follow-up coverage after each sectional tournament. Regardless, we are pleased to provide the casual fan an insiders look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
NOTE: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Appling County
- Brantley County
- Dodge County
- Johnson, Savannah
- Pierce County
- Savannah Arts
- SE Bulloch
- Toombs County
- Glenn Hills
- Washington County
- Westside, Augusta
- Banks County
- Dawson County
- East Hall
- Fannin County
- Franklin County
- Lumpkin County
- West Hall
- East Jackson
- Elbert County
- Hart County
- Jackson County
- Morgan County
- Oconee County
- Favorite: Ian Statia (Jefferson) - Area 8 Champion
- Cruz Arrendondo (Toombs County) - Area 1 Champion
- Devin Mullinax (Banks County) - SQ @ 106
- Danielle Czarnecki (Glenn Hills) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Kelvin Lyons vs. Jeren Davis
- Darkhorse: Jeren Davis (Elbert County)
- Finals: Mullinax vs. Statia
- Summary: Statia is the favorite, but Mullinax and Arrendondo are chasing. Mullinax and Arrendondo should battle it out on the top side and Statia should druise through the bottom side of the bracket. Keep an eye on Area Runners-up Wyatt Smith and Devan Moore. Neither should beat Statia, but they could be part of the conversation when all is said and done.
- Favorite: Dawson Bates (Jefferson) - 1st @ 106
- Ricardo Santana (Toombs County) - Area 1 Champion
- Roshawn White (Glenn Hills) - Area 3 Champion
- Kelton LaBaron (Dawson County) or Chase Pritchett (Franklin County) - confusion about who won Area 7
- Best 1st Round Match: Tyler Reese (Josey) vs. Ethan Herndon (Appling County)
- Darkhorse: Hector Torres (Jackson County)
- Finals: Silvey vs. Bates
- Summary: This is Dawson Bates bracket hands down. No one is close and everyone else is wrestling for 2nd. The defending State Champion has looked great so far this season and shouldn't be challenge. Who emerges out of the top side is anyone's guess. Keep an eye on Area Champions Ricardo Santana and Roshawn White, but don't sleep on Area 8 Runner-up Jordan Silvery of Oconee County.
- Favorite: Mitchell McGhee (Jefferson) - 1st @ 113
- Gage Clark (Toombs County) - Area 1 Champion
- James Stoudenmire (East Hall) - SQ @ 106
- Logan Brown (Lumpkin County) - 2nd @ 113
- Jamarcus Allen (Elbert County) - 5th @ 113
- Tiavonn Redfield (Josey) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Austin Blanton vs. Luke Gonzalez
- Darkhorse: Luke Gonzalez (Jackson County) - 6th @ 113
- Finals: McGhee vs. Brown
- Summary: Defending 113 lb. State champion Mitchell McGhee enters as the favorite over an outstanding field. Runner-up Logan Brown is on the opposite side of the bracket and should have quite a battle to get to the finals opposite McGhee. Be sure to catch the Brown vs. Allen quarterfinal on Friday evening and the winner vs. Gonzalez (more than likely) on Saturday morning. Keep an eye on James Stoudenmire ... he is tough and pulled a tough draw in getting McGhee in the quarters.
- Favorite: Scott Arthur (Appling County) 3rd @ 113
- Cole Potts (Jefferson) - Area 8 Champion
- Jyrryn Jordan (Washington County) - Area 3 Champion
- Jacob Love (Jackson County) - SQ @ 126
- Will Davidson (East Hall) - 6th @ 126
- Christian Grauberger (Dodge County) - SQ @ 106
- Best 1st Round Match: Christian Grauberger vs. Taylor Webb
- Darkhorse: Taylor Webb (Dodge County)
- Finals: Arthur vs. Davidson
- Summary: Good weight class that should feature some outstanding matches. Keep an eye on Arthur vs. Potts in the top semifinal and Love vs. Davidson in the bottom semifinal. Don't sleep on Grauberger, but he didn't get the best draw of the contenders.
- Favorite: Tanner Thurmond (Jefferson) - 1st @ 132
- Mokiel Eason (Appling County) - SQ @ 120
- Ryan Buffington (East Hall) - Area 7 Champion
- Demetrius Williams (Glenn Hills) - Area 3 Champion
- Justin Hall (Toombs County) - SQ @ 126
- Best 1st Round Match: Brandon Garnto vs. Will Folger
- Darkhorse: Garner Drummond (Morgan County) - SQ @ 120
- Finals: Eason vs. Thurmond
- Summary: Much like Bates at 113, Thurmond should easily dominate the 132 lb. weight class. The defending State Champion (at weight) is tough and has the ability to wrestle with anyone in the state ... unfortunately his rivals in this bracket are not on the same level. Keep an eye on Mokeil Eason vs. Garner Drummond in the 1st quarterfinal. The winner could be in the finals Saturday evening (but don't sleep on Chandler Saine of Jackson County and Ryan Buffington of East Hall). Thurmond should easily handle the bottom side of the bracket.
- Favorite: Chris McCrackin (Banks County) - 1st @ 126
- Shawn Scribner (Islands)
- Wallace Doyle (Laney)
- Christian Hardin (Franklin County) - 6th @ 132
- Jody McAlister (Morgan County) - 5th @ 138
- Best 1st Round Match: Brian Green vs. Jeremy Roberson
- Darkhorse: Zack Bolton (Elbert County)
- Finals: Hardin vs. McCrackin
- Summary: It is a shame to see so many of the best wrestlers on the same side of the bracket. McCrackin and McAlister are easily the best at 138 and the best match of this bracket should happen Saturday morning rather than Saturday night. McCrackin is very good and is one of the best 138's in the state regardless of classification. McAlister finished 5th a season ago and will come ready to give McCracking a run for his money. No one else on the bottom side of the bracket is likely to advance with those two hammers down there. The top side is a completely different story. Scribner and Doyle are the Area Champions, but keep an eye on Strong, Hopkins, Hardin, and Bolton.
- Favorite: Connor Crump (Jackson County) - 2nd @ 132
- Luke Anderson (Toombs County) - Area 1 Champion
- Abe Hafez (Franklin County) - SQ @ 138
- Luke Mitchell (Morgan County) - 4th @ 145
- GeQuan Fletcher (Glenn Hills) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: GeQuan Fletcher vs. Jacob Lindenmeyer
- Darkhorse: Jacob Lindenmeyer (East Jackson) - SQ @ 145
- Finals: Mitchell vs. Crump
- Summary: Keep an eye on Hafez vs. Mitchell in the 2nd quarterfinal. The winner could be in the finals on Saturday evening ... they would need to beat Anderson, Twiggs, or Webb, but that isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Crump should easily handle the bottom side of the bracket. The opening match between Fletcher and Lindenmeyer and Twiggs and Webb could be fun to watch.
- Favorite: Kevin Almond (Elbert County) - 2nd @ 152
- Carson Roberts (Toombs County) - Area 1 Champion
- Karnell Clark (Josey) - Area 3 Champion
- Will Ballard (Jefferson) - 3rd @ 152
- Julian Hazen (Lumpkin County) - Area 7 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Dalton Brannon vs. Mason Woodham
- Darkhorse: Mason Woodham (Morgan County)
- Finals: Almond vs. Ballard
- Summary: All of the matches leading up to the finals between Almond and Ballard are just window dressing. They are easily the two best in the weight class and it should make for a great match Saturday evening. Keep an eye on the Area Champions: Roberts, Clark, and Hazen and see how far they advance. Unfortunately for Clark he gets Ballard in the quarters. The battles on the backside of the bracket should be fun to watch.
- Favorite: Chris Couch (Oconee County) - 4th @ 160
- Nathan Belch (Toombs County) - Area 1 Champion
- Jeremy Whalen (Dawson County) - SQ @ 145
- Chris Guthrie (Banks County) - SQ @ 160
- John Taylor (Washington County) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Bill Fugua vs. Antonio Robinson
- Darkhorse: Antonio Robinson (Morgan County) - SQ @ 152
- Finals: Couch vs. Guthrie
- Summary: Couch should take care of the top side ... a match vs. 2015 State Qualifier Jeremy Whalen in the quarters should be on the radar and it will be interesting to see who comes out of the top quarter. The bottom side is much more intriguing. Guthrie, Corbett, Taylor, and Robinson should all feel confident that they can be the bottom side rep in the finals. If you are sitting in the stands ... watch those matches closely.
- Favorite: Rexx Hallburton (Oconee County) - 1st @ 170
- Caleb Johnson (Appling County) - SQ @ 160
- Chuck Allen (Jefferson) - 3rd @ 182
- Dylan Gouine (Banks County) - 5th @ 170
- Naquan Anthony (Josey) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Clay Cabe vs. Davey Jennings
- Darkhorse: Davey Jennings (Jackson County)
- Finals: Allen vs. Hallyburton
- Summary: A fantastic weight class that should feature some excellent matches on the top side of the bracket. Defending State Champion Rexx Hallyburton should easily handle the bottom side and wait for the wrestler that emerges the winner from the top side in Saturday's final. Sitting in the stands ... be sure to take in the action on the top side of the bracket.
- Favorite: Caleb Little (Jefferson) - 1st @ 182
- John Herrin (Brantley County) - Area 1 Champion
- Malik Joyner (Glenn Hills) - Area 3 Champion
- Kevin Thompson (East Hall) - SQ @ 195
- John Brooks (Banks County) - Area 7 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Dmonta Wright vs. Noah Denard
- Darkhorse: Tyler Montford (Dodge County)
- Finals: Wright vs. Little
- Summary: Like Bates and Thurmond before him ... Little is the prohibitive favorite and is unlikely to be challenged by anyone in the field. That doesn't mean there won't be some good wrestling throughout the bracket ... it does mean that Little is wrestling on another level and could give any of the 182's in the state a run for their money (regardless of classification). Keep an eye on Herrin, Denard, Wright, Joyner, Almond and Thompson on the top side of the bracket. They should all feature in some very good matches.
- Favorite: AJ Edmond (Elbert County) - 3rd @ 195
- Ian Kessler (Pierce County) - Area 1 Champion
- Deshon Lester (Jefferson) - 6th @ 195
- Justin Cantrell (Lumpkin County) - SQ @ 220
- Ladell Mosher (Glenn Hills) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Ladell Mosher vs. Ladarrius Andrews
- Darkhorse: Tay Brown (Oconee County)
- Finals: Lester vs. Edmond
- Summary: Ready for another Area 8 rematch? It would be a surprise if someone other than Lester or Edmond were in the finals on Saturday evening. They are significantly better than the rest of the field ... that said - Lester's path isn't easy. He will need to down Area 1 Champion Ian Kessler in the quarters and likely 2015 State Qualifier Justin Cantrell in the semifinals. The path for Edmond on the bottom side of the bracket seems a little clearer.
- Favorite: Zach Matthews (Lumpkin County) - 5th @ 195
- Cole Lewis (Brantley County) - Area 1 Champion
- Dalton Sikes (Oconee County) - SQ @ 220
- E Simpson (Laney) - Area 3 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Verekvious Dixon vs. Noah Breakspear
- Darkhorse: Noah Breakspear (Jackson County)
- Finals: Matthews vs. Sikes
- Summary: Matthews has looked very good this season and should handle the top side of the bracket ... beating Bowen of Jefferson in the quarters and then Lewis, Dixon, or Breakspear in the semi's won't be easy. Sikes looks like the man to beat on the bottom side. Keep an eye on the bottom quarter of the bracket.
- Favorite: Aaron Spires (Dodge County) - 4th @ 285
- Courtney Johnson (Glenn Hills) - SQ @ 220
- Nick Holman (Jefferson) - 5th @ 285
- Cesar Ramos (Lumpkin County) - Area 7 Champion
- Justin Young (Appling County) - SQ @ 195
- Best 1st Round Match: Brandon McGarity vs. Matthew Callaway
- Darkhorse: Jordan Waddell (Dawson County)
- Finals: Spires vs. Holman
- Summary: A really good weight class that should come down to Spires vs. Holman. Keep an eye on several first round matches ... they should be good (McGarity vs. Callaway, King vs. Waddell). Also the quarterfinal round should feature some excellent matches as well ... Ramos vs. Young, Holman vs. Brown as well as those matches on the top side.