A Fan's Guide to Georgia 3A-B Sectional Tournament at Calhoun High School
We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the GHSA Sectional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Georgia. We are disappointed that the GHSA did not allow southeastwrestling.com to cover any of the events. As a result, we are unable to provide any pics or follow-up coverage after each sectional tournament. Regardless, we are pleased to provide the casual fan an insiders look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
NOTE: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Central, Macon
- SW Macon
- Westside, Macon
- Blessed Trinity
- Cedar Grove
- Jackson, Atlanta
- North Clayton
- Central, Carroll
- Haralson County
- Coahulla Creek
- Gordon Central
- Lakeview, Ft Oglethorpe
- Murray County
- North Murray
- Favorite: Trevor Burdick (Sonoraville) - Area 6 Champion
- Terron Hairston (McNair) - SQ @ 106
- Salvador Grimaldo (Adairsville) - 3rd @ 106
- Justin Kiss (Callaway) - 5th @ 106
- Isaiah Arrendondo (Spencer) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Kyler Huff vs. John Davis
- Darkhorse: Stone Tanner (Ringgold)
- Finals: Grimaldo vs. Burdick
- Summary: Excellent weight class. The top side should be a grind with Hairston, Grimaldo, Kiss, and others. Burdick has been phenominal this season and should be able to take care of the bottom side of the bracket with relative ease. If you are watching ... keep an eye on the 1st and 2nd round matches on the top side - they should be excellent.
- Favorite: Tyler Hunt (Sonraville) - Area 6 Champion
- Masud As-Siddiq (McNair) - Area 4 Champion
- Brice Wade (Pepperell) - SQ @ 113
- Robert Holmes (Jordan) - Area 2 Champion
- Truett Bowman (Rockmart) - 4th @ 106
- Best 1st Round Match:
- Summary: Another very good weight class that features a phenominal freshman that has had an outstanding season. Hunt has demonstrated throughout the season that he has the ability to take the top step both this weekend and next. But his path will not be easy. As-Siddiq moves down from 5A and has been on fire for McNair, Brice Wade is a returning State Qualifier at weight, and Truett Bowman tok 4th last season at 106. All will look to knock off the freshman and keep him the top step. Keep an eye on the on the Wade/As-Siddiq quarterfinal match and the Hunt/Bowman semifinal (assuming they both make it that far).
- Favorite: Levi Kinsey (Coahulla Creek) - SQ @ 113
- Tillman Chesnutt (Westminster) - SQ @ 113
- Michael Rucks (Rutland) - Area 2 Champion
- Zorain Hendrix (Rockmart) - Area 5 Champion
- Kaden Spann (Decatur) - SQ @ 120
- Best 1st Round Match: Kaden Spann vs. Aaron Aguirre
- Darkhorse: Aaron Aguirre (Calhoun) - 4th @ 113
- Finals: Kinsey vs. Nicholson
- Summary: A wide open weight class that is headlined by 3 State Qualifiers, a returning State Placer (that finished 3rd in his Area), and 2 other Area Champions. On paper, Aguirre should be the favorite, but falling to 3rd in Area 6 makes you wonder if Kinsey and Nicholson aren't in a better position to take the top step. Should be a good bracket ... don't sleep on Tillman Chesnutt on the top line.
- Favorite: Marcelino Lopez (Murray County) - 2nd @ 120 in 4A
- Noah Kile (Blessed Trinity) - 3rd @ 120
- Jaxon Croy (Pepperell) - SQ @ 120
- Michael Deshazier (Rutland) - Area 2 Champion
- Colton Kelley (Central, Carroll) - Area 5 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Jaxon Croy vs. Ian Clark
- Darkhorse: Ian Clark (Sonoraville) - SQ @ 113
- Finals: Kile vs. Lopez
- Summary: Kile and Lopez are the two best in the bracket. That should be a great final to watch. The top quarter of the bracket is the absolute best with Kile, Croy, and Clark (don't be surprised if they end up 2, 3, 4 after all is said and done).
- Favorite: Muadh As-Siddiq (McNair) - Area 4 Champion
- Dawson Hunt (Central, Carroll) - 2nd @ 126
- Holden Moss (Ringgold) - Area 6 Champion
- Oliver Phillips (Central, Macon) - SQ @ 126
- Chase Boutwell (Rutland) - SQ @ 132
- Devin Darden (Rockmart) - 2nd @ 120
- Jack Polhemus (Westminster) - SQ @ 126
- Best 1st Round Match: Jack Polhemus vs. Luis Velez
- Darkhorse: Luis Velez (North Murray) - SQ @ 120
- Finals: As-Siddiq vs. Darden
- Summary: Kick back, relax and enjoy some really good matches. The action should begin in the opening round with Polhemus and Velez and not let up until one of the names mentioned above is on the top step. The bracket is filled with several outstanding wrestlers. We picked As-Siddiq as our favorite, but that distinction could easily have gone to Darden after his Area title.
- Favorite: Jacob Callahan (Calhoun) - 4th @ 132
- Vincent Baker (Blessed Trinity) - Area 4 Champion
- Joey Collins (Ringgold) - SQ @ 126
- Khaliq Swift (Callaway) - Area 5 Champion
- Elijah McNickels (Spencer) - Area 2 Champion
- Tyrese Perdue (McNair) - SQ @ 132
- Best 1st Round Match: Rydell Chapman vs. Ryan McCullough
- Darkhorse: Ryan McCullough (Coahulla Creek)
- Finals: Baker vs. Callahan
- Summary: A fairly open weight class with just one returning State Placer, Jacob Callahan, 2 State Qualifiers, Collins and Perdue, and 3 other Area Champions. Keep an eye on Baker vs. Collins in the 1st quarterfinal and Swift vs. whoever in the 2nd. That will give you a good idea of who will emerge on the top side. On the bottom - Callahan is the man to beat, but don't look past Spencer's Elijah McNickels. That could be a fun semifinal to watch.
- Favorite: Griffin Green (Ringgold) - 4th @ 138
- Daniel Fulcher (Blessed Trinity) - Area 4 Champion
- Brandon Baert (Rockmart) - SQ @ 152
- Zach Smith (Calhoun) - SQ @ 145
- Peyton Johnson (Rutland) - Area 2 Champion
- Terrance Perdue (McNair) - SQ @ 138
- Best 1st Round Match: Justin Perry vs. Dalton Bowman
- Darkhorse: Dalton Bowman (Cedartown)
- Finals: Green vs. Johnson
- Summary: Fulcher and Green should handle the top side of the bracket ... the bottom quarter is interesting with Perdue and Johnson. Keep an eye on 2015 State Qualifier Calhoun Zach Smith. in the 3rd quarter of the bracket.
- Favorite: Jacob Smith (Pepperell) - SQ @ 145
- Ian Spitler (Blessed Trinity) - SQ @ 13
- James Knight (Lakeview) - Area 6 Champion
- Jeremy Burgess (Spencer) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: D'Arri Johnson vs. Bryce Burgess
- Darkhorse: Bryce Burgess (Adairsville)
- Finals: Smith vs. Burgess
- Summary: Tough weight class because no one has separated themselves from the pack. Spitler and Smith have State Tournament experience, but the section will be won by someone that is new to the top step. Keep an eye on the Area Runners-up Johnson, Corley, Wingate, and Johnson.
- Favorite: Jake Ross (Pepperell) - 4th @ 152
- Jordan Stewart (Decatur) - Area 4 Champion
- Kevin Hurtiz (Sonoraville) - 2nd @ 182
- Daelen Harrison (Adairsville) - Area 6 Champion
- Antonio Coley (SW Macon) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Austin Ray vs. Christian East
- Darkhorse: Christian East (Calhoun) - SQ @ 152
- Finals: Ross vs. Harrison
- Summary: Ross and Harrison are the two best in the weight class and fortunately for the fans they are on opposite sides of the bracket. Harrison won't show up as being on the state podium in 2015, but he is a real threat to take the top step in 2016. Ross finished 4th a season ago at the State Tournament and returns looking for the top step. Area Champions Stewart and Coley will challenge, but it should come down to Ross and Harrison. The real challenge for both Ross and Harrison is returning State Runner-up Kevin Hurtiz of Sonoraville. Be sure to catch the quarterfinal between Ross and Hurtiz.
- Favorite: Zach Brumbelow (Pepperell) - SQ @ 160
- Matthew Gilchrist (Decatur) - Area 4 Champion
- Chuy Rodriguez (Coahulla Creek) - SQ @ 182
- Kameron Blackshear (Spencer) - Area 2 Champion
- Andrew Thomas (Callaway) - SQ @ 170
- Henry Pabst (Adairsville) - Area 6 Champion
- Ronald Ragland (McNair) - SQ @ 170
- Best 1st Round Match: Edwin Walton vs. Immanuel Coley
- Darkhorse: JC Higgons (Central, Carroll)
- Finals: Thomas vs. Brumbelow
- Summary: A fan-friendly weight class because so many wrestlers have the ability to take the top step. Brumbelow, Rodriguez, Thomas, and Ragland all return having wrestled in the 2015 State Tournament. Three of the four finished 2nd in their Area. That means Brumbelow is the favorite, but the seven wrestlers chasing are all capable of taking the top step for themselves.
- Favorite: Daniel Lopez (Coahulla Creek) - SQ @ 195
- Deaundre Wilson (Decatur) - Area 4 Champion
- James Copeland (Rockmart) - Area 5 Champion
- Tavores Pearson (Westside) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Bryan Williams vs. Nick Montalto
- Darkhorse: Nick Montalto (Central, Carroll)
- Finals: Lopez vs. Copeland
- Summary: Daniel Lopez of Coahulla Creek appears to be the wrestler to beat. Lopez won Area 6 and is a returning State Qualifier. No one else in the bracket (from what we can tell advanced to the 2015 State Tournament). Keep an eye on the quarterfinal bouts ... they should feature some close matches.
- Favorite: Isaiah Sellers (Kendrick) - SQ @ 285
- Brice Craig (Calhoun) - Area 6 Champion
- Jason Konavol (Central, Carroll) - Area 5 Champion
- Zion Hester (Coahulla Creek) - SQ @ 220
- Ru Usey (Westminster) - Area 4 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Shakur Walker vs. Timothy Malone
- Darkhorse: Connor Fuquan (Central, Macon)
- Finals: Usey vs. Sellers
- Summary: A wide open weight because there isn't a single dominant wrestler ... Sellers qualified for the State Tournament a season ago and given his place in the bracket should be the favorite. Hester should be a tough out on the bottom side. Usey and Craig look to be the ones to beat on the top side.
- Favorite: Draven Smith (Rockmart) - 3rd @ 220
- Dearies Wilson (Decatur) - Area 4 Champion
- Jesse Wade (Ringgold) - 6th @ 220
- Jasaad Graves (Spencer) - SQ @ 195
- Best 1st Round Match: Timothy Thompson vs. Jacob Bagwell
- Darkhorse: Jacob Bagwell (Sonoraville) - SQ @ 195
- Finals: Smith vs. Wade
- Summary: Excellent weight class. Smith and Wade are the two best in the bracket and they are on opposite sides from one another. The potential quarterfinal bout between Smith and Richards could be a fun one to watch. Keep an eye on Jacob Bagwell in the top quarter. One match we have circled is the potential quarterfinal bout between Graves and Huiet. Be sure you catch that one.
- Favorite: Kenny Cooper (Sonoraville) - 2nd @ 285
- James Hawkins (Blessed Trinity) - SQ @ 285
- Chris Baker (Spencer) - SQ @ 285
- Hinton Bolinger (Pepperell) - 6th @ 285
- Logan Warren (Rockmart) - Area 5 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Hinton Bolinger vs. Eduardo Aguilar
- Darkhorse: Eduardo Aguilar (Calhoun) - SQ @ 220
- Finals: Baker vs. Cooper
- Summary: Great weight class. 2015 State Runner-up Kenny Cooper headlines the bracket and should be considered the favorite. The quality and depth of the group is tremendous. The 2nd quarter of the bracket is outstanding with Baker, Bolinger, and Aguilar. Keep an eye on both Hawkins and Maravilla up top. Cooper should take care of business on the bottom side of the bracket.