A Fan's Guide to Georgia 4A-B Sectional Tournament at Gilmer High School
We are excited to once again bring you "A Fan's Guide" to the GHSA Sectional Tournaments that are taking place this coming weekend across Georgia. We are disappointed that the GHSA did not allow southeastwrestling.com to cover any of the events. As a result, we are unable to provide any pics or follow-up coverage after each sectional tournament. Regardless, we are pleased to provide the casual fan an insiders look into each bracket and what may (or may not) happen over the course of the weekend. We make no predictions about who will win or qualify for next week's state tournament. For each weight class we provide a few bulletpoints to watch and then a copy of the bracket (which you can see for yourself on trackwrestling.com). Each weight class features:
- Favorite: Our favorite to win the weight class based on this past season and past performance.
- Contenders: A list of wrestlers that should challenge the favorite for the top step on the podium.
- Best 1st round match: The match we believe will be the closest during the 1st round of action.
- Darkhorse: A wrestler that did not finish 1st or 2nd in his/her area, but has all the tools to knock off everyone and take the top step.
- Predicted Finals Match: Obviously who we believe will be in the finals.
NOTE: SQ = 2015 State Qualifier; 1st = 2015 State Champ; 2nd = 2015 State Runner-up, etc.
- Crisp County
- Monroe, Albany
- Thomas County Central
- Mary Persons
- Pike County
- Fayette County
- Sandy Creek
- Woodward Academy
- Heritage, Catoosa
- NW Whitfield
- SE Whitfield
- Favorite: Koby Milner (Pickens) - 1st @ 106
- Jarvis Berry (Americus-Sumter) - Area 1 Champion
- Dan Puac (Gilmer)
- Jacob Taylor (Fayette County) - 4th @ 106
- Kyle Carroll (Perry) - Area 2 Champion
- Luke Frost (Carrollton) - SQ @ 106
- Best 1st Round Match: Noah Goff vs. Daniel Ruiz
- Darkhorse: Daniel Ruiz (SE Whitfield)
- Finals: Taylor vs. Milner
- Summary: A good weight class that features returning State Champion Koby Milner, State Placer Jacob Taylor, State Qualifier Luke Frost, an unbeaten Jarvis Berry and many others. Keep an eye on Dan Puac of Gilmer in the top quarter of the bracket. Milner should handle the bracket with relative ease and advance to Gwinnett looking to add another state title to his trophy case.
- Favorite: Jake Lee (Sandy Creek) - 3rd @ 106
- Dre Porter (Crisp County) - SQ @ 113
- Trevor Upchurch (Troup) - SQ @ 106
- Shayne Paulk (Veterans) - Area 2 Champion
- Jose Chavez (SW Whitfield) - SQ @ 113
- Chris Prescott (Ridgeland) - Area 7 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Trevor Upchurch vs. Tommy Davis
- Darkhorse: Tommy Davis (NW Whitfield) - SQ @ 106
- Finals: Porter vs. Lee
- Summary: 106 lb. State Placer Jake Lee headlines the field. The top quarter of the bracket should be extremely tough with Porter, Upchurch, and Davis all having qualified for the 2015 State Tournament. Keep an eye on Jose Chavez of SW Whitfield in the 2nd quarter of the bracket. Freshman Chris Prescott of Ridgeland has been excellent this season and he can make a statement with a Sectional title this weekend - but will need to down Jake Lee in the bottom semifinals if that is going to happen. Don't miss that match if it happens.
- Favorite: Alberto Perez (Gilmer) - 5th @ 126
- John Thomas (Cook) - Area 1 Champion
- Cameron Hope (Griffin) - Area 2 Champion
- Bryan Gembe (NW Whitfield) - 5th @ 113
- Chase Seals (Troup) - SQ @ 113
- Best 1st Round Match: Luke Sawyer vs. Brennan Banks
- Darkhorse: Brennan Banks (Pike County) - SQ @ 113
- Finals: Perez vs. Gembe
- Summary: Looks like it should come down to Alberto Perez and Bryan Gembe for the top step. John Thomas and Cameron Hope are both Area champions, but neither qualified for the state tournament a season ago. Seals could face Gembe in Saturday morning's semifinal, but he needs to be aware of the winner of the Moultrie/Wilkomm match.
- Favorite: Charles Thurman (Heritage) - 1st @ 120
- Peyton Register (Bainbridge) - Area 1 Champion
- Daniel Parivechio (Carrollton) - SQ @ 113
- Lucas Riberio (Pike County) - SQ @ 120
- Trevor Preece (Gilmer) - 2nd @ 113
- Grady Pastor (Woodward Academy) - 4th @ 120
- Best 1st Round Match: Daniel Parivechio vs. Jordan Hughley
- Darkhorse: Trevor Rhone (Fayette County) - SQ @ 120
- Finals: Preece vs. Thurman
- Summary: Fantastic weight class that features some of the best wrestlers at 126 regardless of classification. Thurman, last year's 120 lb. State Champion, headlines a group that includes 113 lb. State Runner-up Trevor Preece, State Placer Grady Pastor, State Qualifiers and so on. If you are an average fan and haven't paid close attention to who's who ... this is a good place to start. Be sure to catch the top two quarterfinal bouts and the semifinal match between Thurman and Pastor.
- Favorite: Lucas Patterson (Gilmer) - 1st @ 132
- Montay Glee (Crisp County) - SQ @ 132
- Caleb Sellers (Fayette County) - SQ @ 126
- Kolby Schadenberg (Upson Lee) - SQ @ 126
- Jacob Mariakis (Ridgeland)
- Tucker Witmer (Woodward Academy) - SQ @ 132
- Best 1st Round Match: Daniel Jernigan vs. Read Elliott
- Darkhorse: Daniel Jernigan (Heritage) - 6th @ 126
- Finals: Patterson vs. Mariakis
- Summary: How tough was Area 7 at 132? Well the 6th best 126 wrestler in 4A last year, Daniel Jernigan, finished 3rd in the Area tournament. Defending State champion Lucas Patterson downed freshman phenom Jacob Mariakis to take the title. Expect the two to battle again this weekend and it is the one match you shouldn't miss. Witmer of Woodward Academy and Schadenberg of Upson Lee got tough draws. Beating Jernigan and then Mariakis or Mariakis and then Jernigan is going to be tough ... getting past those matches to Lucas Patterson is a nightmare. The top side should easily belong to Lucas Patterson, but the wrestling the top quarter of the bracket should be fun to watch. Overall this is one of the best brackets in sectionals regardless of classification ... if you are there - sit back, relax and enjoy some great wrestling.
- Favorite: Nick Voiles (Carrollton) - 4th @ 132
- Harley Ponder (Cairo) - Area 1 Champion
- Dylan Jernigan (Heritage) - SQ @ 132
- Eli Thomason (Pike County) - Area 2 Champion
- Ethan Teague (Gilmer) - Area 7 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Connor Ware vs. Coty Carlock
- Darkhorse: Coty Carlock (NW Whitfield) - SQ @ 138
- Finals: Voiles vs. Teague
- Summary: Good weight class with several wrestlers all in the running for the top step. Voiles leads the pack. Voiles, 4th at 132 in 2015, should control the top side of the bracket. Keep an eye on the quarterfinal match between Ponder and Jernagin ... the winner could beat Voiles if the opportunity is right. Teague is the man to beat on the bottom side. Keep an eye on Troup's Jeremiah McLendon.
- Favorite: Keegan Sharpe (Gilmer) - 5th @ 138
- Jordan Seago (Cook) - SQ @ 138
- Scott Hicks (Troup)
- Jason Seeb (Woodward Academy) - Area 5 Champion
- Dylan Pittman (NW Whitfield) - SQ @ 132
- Maxwell Duncan (Upson Lee) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Drew Rucker vs. Tucker Sippola
- Darkhorse: Tucker Sippola (Carrollton) - SQ @ 138
- Finals: Sharpe vs. Pittman
- Summary: Sharpe headlines a group that includes State Qualifier Seago and Pittman. Keep an eye on Scott Hicks of Troup as well as Area Champions Seeb and Duncan. Sippola, also a 2015 State Qualifier, could make the top quarter of the bracket very interesting.
- Favorite: TK Clay (Crisp County) - SQ @ 160
- Trey Harris (Troup) - Area 5 Champion
- Ryan McGill (Ridgeland) - Area 7 Champion
- Jacob Pierce (Veterans) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Kavon Lurry vs. Jacob Walsingham
- Darkhorse: Brooks Bradley (Thomas County Central) - SQ @ 152
- Finals: Clay vs. McGill
- Summary: The 152 lb. bracket is filled with mostly new faces as TK Clay of Crisp County was the only representative in Macon a season ago (at least according to our records). As a result, he is the favorite. The bottom side of the bracket is wide open and McGill, Roberts, Bradley, Pierce, Lurry, etc. all have a good shot at advancing to the finals.
- Favorite: KJ Bryant (Crisp County) - Area 1 Champion
- Musa Ali (Whitewater) - Area 5 Champion
- Cole Ingram (Lafayette) - Area 7 Champion
- Grant McKinley (Carrollton) - SQ @ 145
- Cody McKinney (Pike County) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Blake Henderson vs. Jordan Caviness
- Darkhorse: Byron Butts (Troup)
- Finals: Bryant vs. Ingram
- Summary: One of the few weight classes where not a single state qualifier returns as an Area Champion. In fact, Grant McKinley of Carrollton was the lone rep in Macon from this bracket in 2015. We haven't seen the majority of these wrestlers compete so we are completely in the dark at 160. Keep in mind Bryant, Ali, Ingram, and MCkinney all won Area titles last weekend ... we will know more about the wrestlers in the bracket after this weekend.
- Favorite: Daniel Wornstaff (Pike County) - 5th @ 170
- Tyler Storey (Bainbridge) - SQ @ 170
- Brandy Walsingham (Carrollton) - Area 5 Champion
- Jake Parker (Gilmer) - SQ @ 195
- Best 1st Round Match: Griffin Long vs. Cameron Stooksbury
- Darkhorse: Kasey Herrington (Upson Lee)
- Finals: Wornstaff vs. Parker
- Summary: 2015 State Placer Daniel Wornstaff is the heavy favorite at 170. Gilmer's Jake Parker and Bainbridge's Tyler Storey also qualified a season ago. Parker is fortunate to be on a Bobcat squad that seeks out the toughest competition in the state and around the southeast. It isn't likely that he will run across someone more talented than he sees in his own room. Wornstaff and Storey are likely to battle in the top semifinal ... be sure to catch that match on Saturday morning.
- Favorite: Matthew Waddell (Gilmer) - 1st @ 170
- Matthew Cromer (Cairo) - Area 1 Champion
- Chase Stringer (Woodward Academy) - Area 5 Champion
- Kori Walker (Veterans) - SQ @ 182
- Best 1st Round Match: Darryl Williams vs. Quenton Kersey
- Darkhorse: Quenton Kersey (Troup)
- Finals: Waddell vs. Walker
- Summary: Waddell is easily the man to beat in this bracket and in 4A at 182. He is supremely talented and it isn't likely that he will be pushed this weekend. He will likely face fellow State Qualifer Lori Walker of Veterans on the finals. The battle for the final 6 spots should be entertaining and the wrestlebacks will be fun to watch on Saturday afternoon.
- Favorite: Jordan Lewis (NW Whitfield) - SQ @ 195
- Noah Harnevious (Thomas County Central) - Area 1 Champion
- Zack Ussery (Veterans) - SQ @ 195
- James Teague (Whitewater) SQ @ 182
- Bo Cummings (Upson Lee) - Area 2 Champion
- Best 1st Round Match: Terry Myrick vs. Nathan Ham
- Darkhorse: Vernon Coltrain (Grady)
- Finals: Lewis vs. Teague
- Summary: A good weight class that could go to any number of wrestlers. Lewis of NW Whitfield headlines the group, but don't be surprised if Ussery or Teague knock him off. Be sure to watch the Harnevious/Ussery and Tague/Crump quarterfinal matches ... they should be fun to watch. Don't sleep on Cairo's Jashari Patterson on the bottom side of Vernon Coltrain on the top side.
- Favorite: Chris Henderson (Ridgeland) - 2nd @ 220
- Tim Hall (Cook) - Area 1 Champion
- race Folds (Veterans) - 6th @ 220
- Dane Bullock (Whitewater) - Area 5 Champion
- Colby Harry (Troup)
- Lazavier Moore (Upson Lee) - SQ @ 220
- Ryan Adams (Bainbridge) - SQ @ 220
- Best 1st Round Match: Colby Harry vs. Quantavious Kelly
- Darkhorse: Adam Parker (Perry)
- Finals: Folds vs. Henderson
- Summary: The two best in the bracket, Henderson and Moore, end up on the same side and should battle it out in Saturday morning's semifinal. The top side is wide open and could fall to a pair of Area Runners-up, Folds and Curtis. Keep an eye on the top two quarterfinal bouts ... they could be very interesting.
- Favorite: Levi Seabolt (Gilmer) - 1st @ 285
- Koby Pryz (Cairo) - SQ @ 285
- Tanner Nance (Heritage)
- James Walker (Baldwin) - SQ @ 285
- Hudson Newton (Troup) - 5th @ 220
- Martez Hudson (Carrollton) - 5th @ 285
- Michael Robles (NW Whitfield) - SQ @ 285
- Best 1st Round Match: Hudson Newton vs. Garrett McClure
- Darkhorse: Garrett McClure (SW Whitfield) - SQ @ 285
- Finals: Newton vs. Seabolt
- Summary: Seabolt. Enough said. The returning 4A 285 lb. State Champion is the best heavyweight in Georgia regardless of classification. The weight class features some very good wrestlers, but none in the same league as Seabolt. Interested in watching some quality 285s go at it? This is the place to be. There are great matches all over the bracket.