November 13, 2016
Georgia opened the high school season with a few tournaments this past weekend ... we do not have any specific results (except the Warrior Invitational which was on trackwrestling). It is very early and each team is missing many wrestlers (football, cross country, etc.), but there were a few takeaways. South Paulding won the East Coweta Duals over a very good group of teams ... again many teams had freshmen wrestling and were nowhere near 100%, but it is interesting to see what kind of depth some of these teams have behind their #hammers. Camden, not surprising, hammered the comeptition at the Ware County Swamp Duals, Buford took home the title at the Lassiter Invitational, and Alexander knocked off Forsyth Central to claim the ALX Duals title. Sequoyah crowned 5 Champions and easily outdistanced runner-up Sprayberry and 3rd place Harrison at the Warrior Invitational. Elbert County did well at the Panther Scramble.
Spartan Slam at West Hall (GA)
- Veterans crowned 5 individual champions, Oconee County and Mill Creek had 2 and North Hall, South Forsyth, Parkview, Franklin County, and Gilmer had 1.
- Veterans was led by Julian Farber (106), Francis Morrisey (126), Devin Sauers (132), Michael Mort (138), and Zach Ussery (220). Also making the finals was Conner Ware at 145.
- Oconee County had 4 in the finals with Jordan Silvey (120) and Dalton Sikes (285) claiming titles.
- Chandler Miele and Dorian Piekarz of Mill Creek ended each of their matches with a fall en route to the 170 and 182 lb. titles, respectively. Also claiming titles were Matt Glenn of North Hall at 113, South Forsyth's Charlie Ranta at 145, Reese Dalton of Parkview at 152, Abe Hafez of Franklin County, and 2x State Champion Matthew Waddell of Gilmer at 195.
- The 132 lb. weight class was the deepest with State Placer Matt Jenkins of White County, State Qualifiers Sam Ranta of South Forsyth, Eugenio Manilla of West Hall, and Devin Sauers of Veterans.
East Coweta Duals
We know the order of teams, but no specific scores.
Camden won the duals easily. We know Ware County and Toombs were there as well, but no specific results.
Great day of wrestling today! A young group of MatDawgs competed hard and got some valuable experience. Cant wait to get to work on Monday!— Toombs Wrestling (@toombswrestling) November 13, 2016
We do not have any brackets from the Lassiter Invitational, but do know that Buford took home the top spot and Max Druhot won the 106 lb. weight class for Pope.
Update 11.14.16 at 11:23 et - here is a link to a story about the invitational. Looks like it was a great tourney. Best of the opening weekend? http://www.mdjonline.com/sports/allatoona-has-pair-win-titles-at-lassiter-invitational/article_2a45780c-a957-11e6-818e-6721d6404962.html
A few notes:
- A great opening weekend tournament with many quality teams and individuals.
- Max Druhot of Pope downed Gavin Nix of Woodland 8-0 to take the 106 lb. title ... Joey Felix of Collins beat Jakir Thompson of Luella for 3rd.
- Buford's Logan Ashton had 3 first period falls to take the 113 lb. title (beating Gilbert Powell of Collins Hill in the finals)
- Woodlan'd Kyle Gollhofer beat Collins Hill's Tariq Malik 15-4 to take the 120 lb. title. Tahnell Palmer of Archer beat Chase Hartman of Buford 10-6 for 3rd.
- Collins Hill fantastic freshman Lucas DeSilva knocked off top seed Kyle McCullough of Buford, Jesus Montero of Woodland, and Keshawn Laws of Central Gwinnett to take the 126 lb. title. Nice trio of wins for the freshman. Luella's Ben Preal was 3rd after falling to Laws in the semifinals. 126 was a fantastic weight class with many faces you will see again later in the season.
- Nicholas Stonecheck, another fantastic freshman, of Buford pinned Aundarrius Weems of Luella, tech falled Nick Perrone of Collins Hill, and pinned Vinnie Rosati of Woodland in the finals to take the 132 lb. title. Make no mistake, Stonecheck is hunting for the top step this season.
- Gavin Smith of Archer downed Dawson Woods of Woodland 3-1 to take the 138 lb. title. Corey Barron of Grayson beat Max McMahon of Cherokee 13-10 to take 3rd.
- 145 was another excellent weight class. Alatoona's returning State Runner-up Will Formato downed Buford's fantastic freshman Charlie Darracott 9-2 to take the title. Archer's Logan Smith was 3rd with a fall over Luella's Brandon Hunter.
- Alatoona's Cody Anderson knocked off top seed Trent Ferguson of Buford 1-0 to take the 152 lb. title. Archer's Peter Myndresku pinned Lambert's Daniel Morin for 3rd ... another great weight class with wrestlers like Ryan Hurd and Daniel Reid finishing outside the top 4.
- Woodland's 2x State Champion Cody Cochran downed Lambert's Cole Burke 11-4 to take the 160 lb. title. Luella's Dustin Berry beat Buford's Tristan Bozoian 4-2 to take 3rd.
- Buford's Cooper Roberts pinned Pope's Jordan Conley to take the 170 lb. title and Sam Ashway of Kell pinned Buford's Alcein Mendoza to take the 182 lb. title.
- Newnan's Devyn Villafane took the 195 lb. title, Luella's Quori Alexander was on the top step at 220, and Jordan Heath of Grayson was on top at 285.
ALX Duals at Alexander
Alexander downed Forsyth Central to take the top spot. Central Carrollton downed Loganville to take 3rd. No idea how any specific individuals did except for Loganville which recognized Cameron Gay and Matthew Chucci as going 5-0.
2016 Warrior Invitational at North Cobb
Sequoyah crowned 5 Champions and easily outdistanced runner-up Sprayberry and 3rd place Harrison. Host North Cobb was 4th, McEachern 5th, Osborne 6th, Campbell 7th, and Blessed Trinity 8th.
1st Place - Christian Small of Sequoyah
2nd Place - Brian Kratt of Harrison
3rd Place - Jorden Shelley of Sprayberry Senior
4th Place - Andrew Ivins of North Cobb
5th Place - Tarron Austin of Osborne
6th Place - Itohan Aigbelaen of Campbell
1st Place - Liam Stocklin of Harrison
2nd Place - Kris Wilson of McEachern
3rd Place - Kasey Karch of Sequoyah
4th Place - Euqueubi Lopez of North Cobb
1st Place - Theirry Tan of Sprayberry Senior
2nd Place - Schleiden Telfort of Osborne
3rd Place - Michael Doss of North Cobb
4th Place - Trey Arrington of Sequoyah
5th Place - Johnathan Bonney of McEachern
1st Place - James Humphrey of Blessed Trinity Catholic
2nd Place - Gavin Marlowe of McEachern
3rd Place - Luis Rojas of Sequoyah
4th Place - Jemal Kinchen of North Cobb
5th Place - Meredith Bishop of Sprayberry Senior
6th Place - Alex Garcia of Osborne
7th Place - Nigel Hamilton of Campbell
1st Place - Bryce Leatherwood of Sequoyah
2nd Place - JoHaun Evans of Osborne
3rd Place - Seth Sherman of Harrison
4th Place - Kentavis Chestnutt of McEachern
5th Place - Ryan Diloreto of North Cobb
6th Place - Jacob Schoonover of Blessed Trinity Catholic
7th Place - Zach Field of Sprayberry Senior
8th Place - Enzo Prado of Campbell
1st Place - Noah Kile of Blessed Trinity Catholic
2nd Place - Jordan Krueger of Harrison
3rd Place - Daniel Molina of Campbell
4th Place - Dillen Ivins of North Cobb
5th Place - Malakai Taft of Osborne
6th Place - John Izo of Sequoyah
7th Place - Jamari Carter of McEachern
1st Place - George Felouzis of Harrison
2nd Place - Brendan Jones of Sequoyah
3rd Place - Jermaine Simmons of Sprayberry Senior
4th Place - DaQuan Thompson of McEachern
5th Place - Tauantraiel Goodman of Osborne
6th Place - Joey Brinsmaid of Blessed Trinity Catholic
7th Place - Andrew Edwar of Campbell
1st Place - Jakeem Battle of Osborne
2nd Place - Orion Moncus of Sprayberry Senior
3rd Place - Majesty Bostic of McEachern
4th Place - Luke Sligh of Harrison
5th Place - Frank Barnes of Sequoyah
6th Place - Katthryn Ore of Campbell
1st Place - Dylan Bone of Sprayberry Senior
2nd Place - Hampton Morris of Sequoyah
3rd Place - Jose Munoz of Campbell
4th Place - John Shepherd of North Cobb
5th Place - Jamarri Cain of Osborne
6th Place - Johnathan Shepherd of North Cobb
1st Place - Justin Poole of Sequoyah
2nd Place - John Koroly of North Cobb
3rd Place - Tre`Vonte Burrell-Jones of McEachern
4th Place - Ian Dudar of Blessed Trinity Catholic
5th Place - Cooper Mullinax of Harrison
6th Place - Tate Anthony of Campbell
7th Place - Jesse Sealey of Sprayberry Senior
8th Place - Joseph Shook of Osborne
1st Place - Tameron King of Sprayberry Senior
2nd Place - Emmanuel Wilkins of Campbell
3rd Place - Tylan Cline of North Cobb
4th Place - Amir Davis of McEachern
5th Place - Jacob Poole of Sequoyah
1st Place - Alec Gloer of Sequoyah
2nd Place - Cameron Mefford of Harrison
3rd Place - Isaiah Williams of McEachern
4th Place - Amadou Seck of North Cobb
5th Place - Philip Laryea of Campbell
1st Place - Jackson Riddle of Sequoyah
2nd Place - Cooper Dickinson of Sprayberry Senior
3rd Place - Larry Lopez-Martinez of Campbell
4th Place - Ernst Lavaud of McEachern
1st Place - Josh O`Neill of Harrison
2nd Place - Zachery Blalock of Sprayberry Senior
3rd Place - Thomas Davis of Sequoyah
4th Place - Cody Davis of McEachern
Panther Scramble at Jackson County
Forest Park Duals
Locust Grove 1st place
Forest Park 2nd place
- Locust Grove 66 North Atlanta 6
- Locust Grove 78 Mundy's Mill 6
- Locust Grove 60 Jackson 6
- Locust Grove 54 Alcovy 21
- Locust Grove 65 Stockbridge 10
- Forest Park 54 Alcovy 17
- Forest Park 54 Stockbridge 23
- Forest Park 57 Jonesboro 6
- Forest Park 66 Lovejoy 3
- Forest Park 45 New Manchester 24
- Locust Grove 51 Forest Park 18